Spinnakers and single handing

Hello SJ 23 Skippers,

I have been so busy with posting notices and working on the
SJ 23 page that I didn't take time to ask a question that I
have. Since getting Hal Mueller's question about rigging
spinnakers and the response  from Bob Schimmel, I have been
meaning to ask you all what your experience has been with
single-handing and spinnakers. I vaguely remember some
previous correspondence on this.

I mostly sail alone or with a wife who really prefers to
stay off the deck. She will hold the tiller for me if it's
not too cold. That's not a complaint, just a fact. As far
as I know it is her only fault!

Do you think a spinnaker gains that much over a 150 percent
Genoa given a single-handed sailing situation? I love the
look of them and could almost be persuaded to fly one just
for looks. But I don't want to buy trouble!

Chuck Vande Wetering
De Vliegende Hollander
San Juan 23 Internet Fleet Webmaster
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5492
wwp62@rockisland.com

"I must go down to the seas again, for the call
   of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be
   denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white
   clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and
   the sea-gulls crying.

Verse 2 of "Sea Fever" by John Masefield