Questions about SJ 23 from new skipper,Tom Hamilton

I am forwarding this to the SJ 23 majordomo list for Tom
Hamilton.

Chuck Vande Wetering

Hi guys: I just bought a 1980
SJ23 #449 and hauled it up to PA from FL. Quite a
trip.  I have to say I bought the boat based on price
and the comments of the broker who sold it to me (he
rated it better than similar sized Nimbles and
Compacs which were much more money). But after only
sailing it briefly before the trip home, I am
beginning to think this boat is a real gem of a
trailer sailor. From what I read on the web it seems
y'all feel the same. Anyway I am loaded with
questions that I hope you experts will answer. Before
I embark on the questions I'll mention that I will
sail the boat some on lake Nockamixon north of
Philadelphia where I live but plan on using it mostly
on the Chesapeake. I've been chartering a Beneteau
first 35 there from a great owner, but of course
wanted something of my own, more manageable, and with
out the mandatory slip rental.  By the way in my
youth I sailed a Y-flyer and in my second childhood I
also windsurf.  At this point at least, I think I
will do m! ainly cruising so most of my questions
revolve around how to make the boat a self-sufficient
cruiser for at least 2-3 day intervals with a total
of 2-3 people on board.  This is in the context of
the luxury of space conveniences on the Beneteau
which I cant achieve on a 23 footer but the question
is how close can I come to getting conveniences and
at least the illusion of space. So here come the
questions: 1. How do you set a stove up in the cabin?
Has anyone installed a stove with oven? or Any info
on whether you can actually use those Magma grills as
an oven and stove top as the adds suggest? 2. Is it
possible to use a dodger on this boat (my boat has
that metal plate over the fore end of the companion
way hatch to carry the halyards to the cockpit)? and
what about having a full cockpit enclosure made to
use at anchor.  This would really create allot of
more usable space no matter what the weather. It
seems like it would be nice if one person could sleep
in the cockpit and the other in the v-berth. 3. Is
there any practical way to make hot water on this
type boat? 4. Any info on roller furling. I saw the
comments on the trailer sailor bulletin board and am
getting the info on the FF2 from CDI. But isn't there
one of these systems that works with the standard
clips that are used to attach the jib to the
forestay? 5. Any info on having those stern seats
like the Hunters and Catalinas have made for the SJ?
6. Any experience with autopilots? 7. Just how
seaworthy is this boat? It sounds like it must be
pretty good based on so much use in on the northwest
coast. 8. Any experience with cockpit tables? what is
best? 9. What is the practicality storing a dingy on
the deck? There are many situations where it would be
nice to go ashore where no water taxis are available.
Is it practical to carry one deflated and pump it up
when needed? 10. Any important considerations I've
forgotten related to setting the boat up for cruising
would be appreciated.

Tom Hamilton
TC_Hamilton@fccc.edu
Chuck Vande Wetering
San Juan 23 Internet Fleet Webmaster
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5492
wwp62@rockisland.com

"I must go down to the seas again, for the call
   of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be
   denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white
   clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and
   the sea-gulls crying.

Verse 2 of "Sea Fever" by John Masefield