Response to questions 6 and 9

Tom Hamilton,

I have an Autohelm Tiller Autopilot and love it.  I can't
recall the number but I think it is a 1000. In West's
catalog there are two at this time, the ST800 and ST1000
Plus will handle up to 5,450 lbs displacement which is much
more than adequate. Mine is not connected to any guidance
devices but these can accept NMEA data so you can navigate
to a waypoint. I use a handheld Garmin GPS instead.

Storing a dinghy on deck is pretty impractical in my
opinion. It would be in the way working the deck and
foresails unless you mean carrying it in an uninflated
state. I tow mine cruising and leave it at the dock when
racing or fishing in local waters. I use a small inflation
pump made to inflate bike tires which I have run off my 12V
battery. I slip a plastic tube over the fitting that
usually clamps over the tire tube valve and then graduate
the tube until I get the length I need to go over the side
and into the valve on the dinghy. This can be done on deck
at anchorage if you carry it uninflated under the cockpit
or on the foredeck. But I like a clean foredeck. Don't want
sheets hanging up or feet being tripped. I don't swim well
when separated from my boat!

(P.S.) You will get this message twice if you are on the
majordomo list. I have sent it to the list and copied it to
you so you can compare the speed with which the majordomo
list handles a message.
Chuck Vande Wetering
San Juan 23 Internet Fleet Webmaster
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5492
wwp62@rockisland.com

"I must go down to the seas again, for the call
   of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be
   denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white
   clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and
   the sea-gulls crying.

Verse 2 of "Sea Fever" by John Masefield