Interesting Tale

San Juan 23 Skippers,

I received this message on the Notice Board and thought I
would pass it on to you all for your opinion. Am I being
too defensive and missing the guy's point?

(Notice Board User)  Kemp Howland<br>
(My Home-page) howland-int.com<br>
(email) kemp_howland@compuserve.com<br>
(Owner)  Other Sailboat<br>
(from)  Orlando, FL<br>
(Date)  April 7, 1998<br>

(Please
postthefollowing)<br>--------------------------------------
------------------------------------- Regarding
seaworthiness:  Iwas the marketing director for Victoria
Yachts herein Florida. We built a few San Juan 21's &
23'safter the company left the Carolinas. We sold a
'76model to two guys who had adventure in their hearts,and
little else to recommend them to the sea.  Theytrailered
the boat to Miami and saild to the lowercaribbean, then on
to South America.  After about 6months they brought the
boat back for "a fewrepairs".  The hull had cracks on port
and starboardsides at the chainplates, vertically from
thegunwalesr to the waterline. We figured they camewithin
one good dtorm of breaking the boat in halfand sinking!
Anyway, whatever they hauled back fromthe islands allowed
them to purchase a 35' C&C forcash. They scrapped the SJ
23.  Moral of the story? Your boat is only as seaworthy as
your common sensewill allow.<br><p>

RESPONSE(s)<br><p>

Mr. Howland,<br><p>

I am not sure I understand the "moral"
of your story! Is it that the San Juan 23 foot is incapable
of sailing in stormy seas? You mentioned "storms" but
didn't say much else about the weather conditions the two
sailors encountered. Larger boats than 23's have broken up
in tropical storms and smaller boats than 23's have
circumnavigated and returned in one piece.  Are you
thinking that the San Juan 23 is not built well enough to
do anything more than daysail in protected waters?  Or are
you saying that the firm you worked for in Florida built a
San Juan 23 that was inferior to those previously built in
the Carolinas? Many well built original boats such as the
ones built by Clarkwere taken over by other companies and
cheapened.  The original manufacturer refused to cheapen
the boat in order to compete with larger firms like
Catalina (I consider a Catalina to be a well-built boat but
their buying power did run a lot of smaller manufacturers
out of the market). It must not have been the San Juan 23
they traded for the C&C. It obviously was something with a
great deal more value! Were they smoking the stuff on the
trip? Interesting tale. But I really would like to
understand your point more clearly.<br><p>

Chuck Vande
Wetering<br>
San Juan 23 Internet Fleet Webmaster<br>
wwp62@rockisland.com<br><p>

 ****<br><p>
Chuck Vande Wetering
San Juan 23 Internet Fleet Webmaster
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5492
wwp62@rockisland.com

"I must go down to the seas again, for the call
   of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be
   denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white
   clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and
   the sea-gulls crying.

Verse 2 of "Sea Fever" by John Masefield