mast step plates and keel boards

I had occasion with Gene Adams of Port Gardner Yachts today as I had noticed
my plate on top of the cabin into which the mast is stepped had a diagonal
crack across one bolt hole which means a loss of structural integrity. It
may be advisable for others to check their plates.

During our conversation he mentioned that he had been selling a lot of swing
keels and their assemblies lately. He said that in view of the age of the
boats, he would suggest that when people have their boats out of the water
they check the pin on which the keel swings and if worn replace it, renew
the cable and be sure that the bolts that hold the assembly into the shoal
keel are sound.