Re: Towing with a Ford Explorer

Bob Schimmel wrote:

> John Whitney wrote:
> >
> > Hello all!
> >
> > I'm getting ready to break out the boat and take her up north for the summer
> > season.  I typically tow with an 85 Ford Bronco with lots of muscle.  But,
> > once I get the boat up north, I just need to drop it in the water and pull
> > it back out since there is mast up storage.  I'd rather not drive the gas
> > guzzling Bronco up every weekend, preferring the comfort of our Ford
> > Explorer.
> >
> > Has anyone used an Explorer with a V-6 to tow.  If so, any advice?
> >
> > John Whitney
> > Double Shot
> >
> > San Juan 23 Internet Fleet:   http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5492/
> > This list sponsored by PEAK,Inc., ISP and Education Center, Corvallis, Oregon
> John:

I tow mine with a 1988 4 liter Jeep Cherokee.  In 4 high I have ample
power to tow at 100KMH (60MPH for those south of the 49th). In low range
there is gobs of power on the launching ramp.  A fellow from one of the
other clubs towed his MacGregor 26 from Edmonton to Vancouver using an
Explorer and had absolutly no problem.  The biggest concern we have in
Edmonton isn't going power, but stopping power.  Specifically down long
mountain hills.  These hills are killers on brakes and nerves.  Make
sure all your trailer brakes are set up equally.

I also asked your question to a fellow from one of the other clubs here
and I thought I might share his comments with you.  He tows his 6500 Lb
Bayfield power boat with the same Ford Explorer e/w V6 that you have.
He's towed the boat for several years now without trouble and he said
you shouldn't have any trouble.  In fact he said, "don't worry, there is
plenty of power."

--

Regards

Bob Schimmel