Re: gas tank

Hi Bob. Prior to storing any gas, make certain the port lazarette is
vented in an enclosed compartement as per coast guard regulations.
Keeping a gas container in the lazarette which is not in an enclosed
compartement and not vented will result in gas fumes seeping in the cabin.
This becomes an extreme fire hazard. I would also not recomend
storing your battery in the same compartement in case of sparks, etc...

I use a 3 gallon gas tank which fits nicely in the aft section of the
cockpit and is out of the way. I also have a three gallon spare tank,
when I go on extended trips, which i store on deck fasted to a
stanchion.

I also recall a fellow sailor whose gas thank started to leak while
stored in a regular lazarette without ventilation etc... Fortunately he
noticed it before lighting his stove. Apparently he could only smell a
bit of a gasoline odour and did not think anything of it at first.
I do not remember the exact saying but apparently a teaspoon of gasoline
can be as dangerous as a stick of dynamite (correct me if i am wrong)

Cheers and safe sailing.

      Jack Carr                       |           / |       "wind and fair
      jackc@vcn.bc.ca                 |         /   |        ask for"
      British Columbia,   CANADA      |     ________|____