Re: Does SJ 23 Sink when holed or flooded?

At 8:52 PM -0700 5/12/98, Jack Carr wrote:
>Since the fiberglass, mast, battery, anchors &
>rode, water, food, number of persons on board, etc... etc... etc...
>would add to the weight, a higher weight base may be required.

Yes, those are important factors, and they are not addressed at all in my
calculations.

Kamens's premise is that accounting for just the ballast, given a
wooden-core fiberglass hull, gets you in the ballpark.  If he's right, we
still need to add a lot of buoyancy to a SJ23 to keep it afloat when
flooded.  If he's being too liberal, we need to add an _awful_lot_ more
buoyancy.  Many of us (author included) seem to have added heavy
equipment--spare batteries, extra anchors, outboards.  That certainly won't
help the buoyancy.

Back to Bobby Kawamura's original question:  I think we should conclude
that the boats will sink when filled with water, and take whatever
precautions are appropriate to the waters we're sailing on.

Hal Mueller            http://www.peak.org/~hal/
Corvallis, Oregon      http://www.peak.org/~hal/ccd/ (dance)
Home:  (541) 752-4776  hal@peak.org
Work:  (541) 754-4490  halm@mail.cor.epa.gov