duck dodged

Well, I 'raced' last night in the Lake Union Duck Dogde.

The Duck Dodge is a weekly race on lake union in Seattle. for more info on
the race itself, check out
Its basically an informal 'pick up' sail race with 4 classes - fast,
half-fast, slow, and dinghy. The parties afterwards are legendary, and
often have themes - next week is "Western Night".

The weather was beautiful all day yesterday, with 10 to 20 knot winds
expected, and looking out my office, the trees were swaying in the breeze
all day. We motored over from my slip in Yarrow Bay on Lake Washington, and
through the ship canal into Lake Union. Takes us about 75 minutes, but
thats quicker than pulling the boat, trailering her, trying to find
parking, etc. We got to the lake around 6:15, and there were only a few
other sailboats on the lake. I thought maybe i had the schedule wrong, and
we tied up to the guest dock at Chandler's Cove to use the restrooms, dump
our garbage, and get out the binoculars to see if we could find the
committee boat. Around 6:30 to 6:40 a gazillion boats showed up, like a
small invasion of the lake. There were probably 60 or 70 boats in total,
maybe more, of all makes and models, though we were probably the smallest
boat except for some of the smaller dinghys. There was a ton of Santanas
and San Juans (mostly 24s, but I saw a 21 too), a few catalinas, and so
forth. No other potters though. It was an awesome sight seeing so many
sails up on that lake. The sailboats >own< that lake on tuesday nights, and
even the commercial traffic and harbor patrol basically gave up trying to
get through during that time. I've got some pictures and I'll post 'em on
the web when I get them developed.

We motored over to the committee boat and they had a 'race board' posted
which showed which marks to hit in what order. The wind was still blowing
good form the north, so the first mark was to be the one under the aurora
bridge to the northwest, and the other two used that day were one's marked
'triples' and 'duke's' presumably after the restaurants that were near each
mark. They asked us our boat name, and assigned us to the 'slow' class. Of
course, some 30+ footers came by right after us, and were also assigned to
the slow class, so it was quickly apparent we weren't going to win this
race tonite, not that we would anyways with our inexperienced skipper and
crew.

I've never raced before, and it was very interesting to watch the first
group jockey for position (and starboard tack) before the starting horn at
7pm. The wind was still blowing real good. 5 minutes later the half-fast
class took off, and our horn went 5 minutes after that. We had a crappy
starting position, but we intended to lay back a bit anyways and stay out
of the way of the other boats. We didn't cross the start line until 6
minutes after the horn.

Racing was pretty wild. A short, lightweight boat like the Potter can stop
dead in its tracks when a larger boat passes to windward and blocks all the
wind from our sails. I was also very surprised just how close some skippers
will come to colliding with you when you have the right way. We got within
10 feet of many boats, and even much closer to a few, going quite fast. I
think they try to intimidate you into changing tacks, and we fell for it a
time or two. I think once you're on starboard tack, you have to have nerves
of steel and stick to your guns when a port-tack boat tries to share the
same position with you.

We tacked our way towards the first mark in rapidly diminishing wind. By
now, all but a few dighys and a Flicka were ahead of us. We stayed pretty
competitive with the Flicka for a while. I think it is a faster boat, but
he made what seemed to me obvious tactical errors (getting way too close to
shore and the diminished wind) and we shot far past him when we tacked in
deeper windier water. He eventually passed us again (due to MY errors!),
but it was fun to have a boat of similar speed to race with.

As we neared the first mark, the fast boats (including a 65' macgregor with
about an acre of sail)  were passing us on their second lap! I don't know
how some of these boats find wind... To make a long story short, we ran out
of wind even before the first mark, and hour or more into the race. After
seeing a few other boats do it, we dropped our sails too and motored to the
flotilla forming around the committee boat. So we basically had a DNF (or
as I like to say, NFW!)

I'm not comfortible with flotillas - i have this fear that if I'm tied
between two boats with 50,000lbs displacement, a large wake going by could
cause one boat to crush me against another. Maybe this isnt realistic, but
I like to play it safe. After doing a lap around the flotilla to see if i
could find a smaller boat to raft to, I saw the Flicka tied up and headed
to her. But at the last moment I had an idea - a 30 or 40 footer had tied
to the 65' macgregor, and it looked like I could squeeze behind it against
the 65. I backed in stern-to-stern with the shorter boat and fit perfectly.
Next thing I know people are grabbing lines and fenders and helping us
secure.

The party was great and some of the most fun I've had partying since
college. I expected a little snottiness from the guys with the larger
yachts, but everyone was extremely friendly and happy to show off their
boats. the majority of the people at the party were guests of other
boatowners, so everyone was just happy to be there and have boats to party
on, and i didn't get any attitude from anyone for having a smaller boat.
Actually, I think people respected that I was a skipper of any boat. A
Potter 15 would have been a big hit and something of a novelty, but even my
19 filled that role a bit. I was a little afraid at first to just jump
aboard other people's vessels, but it turns out everyone just goes for it
and hops from boat to boat. Someone fired up a decent stereo with some
caribbean music, and folks were even dancing on the decks. I got the chance
to look inside a bunch of different boats. Wow, those Flickas are nice
inside, but kinda dark.

The 65 was pretty cool for its sheer mass. The sail locker alone was much
larger than my V berth. Actually, it might have been a stateroom but they
had to stash the acre of sail somewhere. The head was something like "the
fifth door on the right". Somehow this cracked me up being a Potter sailor.
Next time someone asks me where my head is, I'll say "take the elevator to
the Promenade deck...past the sauna and lockers, you can't miss it. " Oh
well, it seemed funny after a dozen beers, but nothing seems too funny
right now. :)

After a couple hours the rain started, and while a lot of boats had biminis
to keep us dry, it still basically broke up the party. The outboard quit a
couple times on the way home - once because the safety key jiggled out, and
again because we ran out of gas. Tipping the gas tank sideways fed enough
fuel into the tank to get us the rest of the way to the slip.  I don't
recall what time we left or got home, but I'm very tired and hungover
today.

A few lessons learned:
*I need a genny in a big way.
*The race is cool, but the party is fabulous
*You can drink an obscene amount of beer when on a boat, without really
realizing it.
*Its a good thing I emptied the head holding tank before the race
*I could use a few more fenders.

I'll be back next week. Would love to see some more of you out there.

--
- ej@blarg.net P19 # 461