SJ23 Heel

How far can an SJ23 heel before "all hell brakes loose".

I just had a very nasty experience this weekend when a squall front hit
me like a brick wall and I couldn't lower the mainsail.  At the time my
working jib was sheeted in for a close reach.  I was alone and it was
all I could do to stay in the cockpit.  The deck was nearly vertical as
I was balancing on the leeward side of the cockpit, hanging on to the
windward toerail.  Believe me, it was not an experience I want to
repeat.  I have been on a knockdown on a Yamaha 38, but this was far
more violant.  Now I know what they mean when you read those stories
about capsizes; and you wait for, what seems like an eternity, the hull
to stand up again.
I was only shook up and the good ole SJ suffered absolutely no damage.
Why the rig remained standing is something to thank Dan Clark for I
guess.

The crazy thoughts that went through my mind at the time were the
comments about if an SJ23 would float, which I rather doubt.  Amazing
what can go on in your head!!!!!

But the question I ask is: how far will she go over and still come back
up?

Bob Schimmel
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Canada