Cruising Spinnaker Replies

I have received the following information as a result of posts to
several list serves regarding cruising spinnakers for my San Juan 24.
The following Web sites also had good info on handling and rigging the
sail (http://sailingsource.com/neilpryde/newslet/19/19-trim.html and
Http://www.sailmakers.com/flashertrim.html ).  Any further experiences
from other San Juan owners would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty Pearce
Wizard (San Juan 24)
Victoria, BC

____________________________

Marty,

I will try to answer some of your questions.

1st An asymmetric spinnaker is a spinnaker.  It is used with best
results
in true wind angles of 80-165 degrees.  It can be used in light to
breezy
conditions with good results.  The winder it gets the lower wind angles
you
will have to sail and vice versa in light air you will have to sail
higher
wind angles.  An asymmetric cruising spinnaker is similar to a gennaker
or
cruising spinnaker.

Approximate dimensions are luff 31.5  leech 26.78  foot 15.67  Cost is
$876
usd.  Sail can be delivered in 6 weeks from date of order.

Please call or write with any further questions or comments.
206.634.0636

Regards,

Brain Huse
Quantum Seattle

____________________________________

Marty,

Your request for information was sent to me here at Nanoose Bay as I am
the
closest Doyle loft to you.

First of all an asymmetrical spinnaker is the generic name for large off
the
wind, usually nylon, sails which have been marketed as cruising chutes,
gennakers, MPS, and a myriad of other names.

Doyle offer asymmetrical spinnaker for cruisers and racers.  The
cruising
sail is known as our APC ( asymmetrical power cruiser ).  Since you do
not
race there is no need to mention the APR ( larger racing version).

An APC for your San Juan 24 would measure approximately 30.20 luff,
27.50
leech, 17.10 foot and be 446 sq. ft.

The price is $1350.

There is a wide selection of colored nylon to choose from.

Regards from Nanoose Bay
Peter Jacobson
Doyle Sailmakers British Columbia
Nanoose Bay, B.C.