Re: Question about halyards....

Rene Schmidt wrote:

> I have a question about my jib halyard. When I raise my headsail,
> using my genoa winch, the wire part of the halyard comes all the way
> to the winch. Is this okay? I would have thought that the wire on the
> halyard would damage the winch. I've only owned the boat for a few
> months, so I don't know if a previous owner replaced the halyard with
> a new one, and got the size of the rope/wire incorrect.
>
> Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
>
> Regards,
> Rene Schmidt
> #731 "Sunao"

Hi Rene:

The wire portion of the halyard should not go around the winch.  The
winch barrel is designed for soft line, not hard wire.  There is not
enough friction to hold wire on a winch.  The other problem is that you
are approaching the minimum turning radius of the wire.  Under the
mainsail loads, you will break strands and create meat hooks.  Slide
your hand along the halyard, CAREFULLY, and you will see what I mean.

I hate meat hooks.  This is the main reason why I changed my halyards
from wire/rope to all rope.  The prestretched line that is available
these days performs very well. I cannot detect stretch stretch in my
halyards.

However, I know lots of people who love their wire/rope halyards.  Mine
are in the garage collecting dust.
--
                                         /\
                                        /| \