RE: Autopilots

Rene:

I have an Autohelm ST-1000 installed in my San Juan 24 and am well pleased.

There were a few problems in the installation that I had to work through.  I
drilled the hole for the back of the autopilot in the Port Seat, all the way
back, just beyond the lazerette.  Since my battery is in the lazerette, I
simply installed the plug on the back side of the seat and ran it to the
battery.  You will need to purchase a high rise (10 inch) extension and
mount it on the Tiller Handle so that the autopilot will set level.

I also have a Hunter 35 with an autopilot that I have had trouble with,
similar to those problems discussed in a previous post, but I have had no
problems what-so-ever, regardless of the angle of heel, with my Autohelm
ST-1000 on the SJ24.

Good Luck

Mike Chaney
Pog Mo Thoin