(Fwd) Jib Downhaul

Date:          Thu, 26 Mar 98 06:28:00 UT
From:          "Art Brown" <Art_Brown@classic.msn.com>
To:            "Chuck Van de Wetering" <wwp62@rockisland.com>
Subject:       Jib Downhaul

Eric Johnson, in his "Sailing, Seattle, Sunday..." message, refers to the use
of a Jib Downhaul.  I seem to recall that some time last year some of the SJ23
skippers were talking about various levels of success with downhauls on SJ23s.
 I would like to know if people have found a good method of implementing a
downhaul on the SJ23????

I won't be able to respond to any replies for a couple of weeks because Boeing
is sending me back to the Navy's David Taylor Model Basin near Washington D.C.
 It should be an interesting place to work for about 2 weeks of testing.  I
will be back in Seattle on April 11.

Art Brown

Art,

I tried to rig a jib downhaul and it was more or less
successful. It was just clipped into the jib halyard and
followed through a pulley attached to the deck fitting and
then run back to cockpit cleat through the stancion (sp?)
bases. It hung up on me a couple times and the line was
hanging loose looking kind of sloppy. But in an emergency
it would probably help. I think it can be done right with a
few more pulleys.

I think Kathy Solon said she had successfully rigged one
and there was someone else who responded at the time.

Chuck Vande Wetering
Chuck Vande Wetering
San Juan 23 Internet Fleet Webmaster
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5492
wwp62@rockisland.com

"I must go down to the seas again, for the call
   of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be
   denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white
   clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and
   the sea-gulls crying.

Verse 2 of "Sea Fever" by John Masefield