Re: (Fwd) SJ23 center board

Hello,
I agree with Chuck.  The SJ23 is too small to need a roller.  The headsails
are small enough to change by one person without much trouble.  If you are
short handed you might want to bring the halyards to the cockpit. This
would help minimize the time required on a wet slippery foredeck. I have
not tried a down haul, that might facilitate dowsing the headsail quickly.
My personal experiences with rollers have been divided 50-50 between the
thing working well and the head sail system performing less than optional.
Once it was moderately scary.  The 35' freedom was on its second or third
cruse with a new owner. All aboard were relatively inexperienced. We rolled
the head sail all the was out and was enjoying a nice calm cruise.  The
breeze began to freshen and we were healing beyond the comfort level of the
new parent. We were on a tack towards shore when we decided to shorten
sail. The sail would not roll up.  We could not get it to roll up.  We also
could not bring the bow around.  When he turned the wheel the boat was just
too overpowered to respond, the rudder would just cavitate.  I just wanted
to let the headsail flog while we tacked, the skipper did not want to let
it flap for fear of tearing it. We were also having trouble even getting
the jibsheets unstuck from the jamcleat while fully loaded. We did not know
the proper way of tailing the winch to unload the sheet.  All the while we
are getting closer to shore.  We finally got it loose by tacking letting
the sail flog to head to wind and manually twisting the foil to get it
started.  After a little help the sail rolled up nicely.  By the time we
confident we regained control of the boat, we within a few boatlengths of
the bouys marking the shoreline. By then the skipper was spooked so we just
motored back to the dock. Ancedotes do not prove roller furling systems
bad.  We probably we operating it incorrectly or the system was in
disrepair, but for whatever reason it was a contributor to a precerious
situation I believe could have been avoded by a simpler operation of
dropping the halyard in a conventional headsail. No thanks to
rollerfurlings. I think I will save my money for  buying drinks to recruit
a bowman to run up there and change headsails for me while a sit on my
behind and sip a refreshing beverage.

Bobby