Re: Purchase of a San Juan 23

Chaney, Mike wrote:

> Would some one please tell me the purpose of that small forestay anchored
> about a foot in front of the mast on my SJ24, and why, prey tell, Clark
> would fasten the chain plate through deck with screws and no backing plate.
>
> Mine has partially pulled out of the deck.  Does this sucker provide any
> functional purpose?
>
>         Mike Chaney
> San Juan 23 Internet Fleet:   http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5492/
> This list sponsored by PEAK,Inc., ISP and Education Center, Corvallis, Oregon
HI Mike:
The purpose of that small forestay you are talking about is to add
stiffness and/or prebend to the lower portion of the mast.  I installed
one on a Venture 222 that previously owned and it did wonders for the
performance.  I also added a tube of PVC over it to act as a roller for
the jib when tacking.

About the fitting on deck.  I suggest you dismantle it all, inject epoxy
into the wood core of the deck and reinstall it with a tapered backing
plate.

I am currently reworking the Tech Tips and there are 2 new tips
regarding this subject.  Stay tuned, as I will post the notice via the
SJ23 distribution list.

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Canada