Welcome Aboard the San Juan 23 Internet Fleet

Steve Byrum wrote:

> Anyone care to advise on whisker pole lenght, advise diameter and any other
> care or precautions in obtaining one. I would also like advise on the hight
> of the mast ring for attaching the whisker pole.
>
> As of late I have really enjoyed all the information and communication. It
> is very interesting and helpful.
> Thanks,
> Steve Byrum
>
> San Juan 23 Internet Fleet:   http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5492/
> This list sponsored by PEAK,Inc., ISP and Education Center, Corvallis, Oregon
In general, the length of a whisker pole should match the J dimension of
the boat.  The distance along the deck from the forestay to the front of
the mast.

I use a Forespar 6/12 ft adjustable light duty whisker pole with twist
lock.  It works great in light air.  My mast ring is mounted on a
spinnaker pole track. Usually the ring is about 5 feet off the deck.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the spike at the outboard end is
a pain when it pops out of the clew.  This is a sure recipe for loosing
the pole overboard.  Which is the reason why I intend to fill my pole
with foam and change the end fitting to a piston pole end.

Only thing is, I wish I had bought a more expensive line drive pole,
equipped with a release and set line, so I can adjust the pole while it
is holding the sail.  But then, I already have a mortage!

Sure would love to see more discussion on this subject.

--
Cheers

Bob Schimmel
Spruce Grove, Alberta