SJ23 Tech Tips Page

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>I bought a brand new Honda 5 hp last Fall, and it's been on the boat ever
since. Last time I used it -- in December -- it worked fine, and it hasn't been
touched since as far as I can tell. Today, I went out to the lake for a Spring
check up and tried to start it. Pulling on the starter rope was strangely easy
-- practically no resistence. When I took off the cover, I saw the white plastic
gear wheel on top of the starter rope mechanism was shattered -- the entire
center was broken out of the gear wheel. Pulling the starter rope just spun the
center of the gear, and the outside (the part with the teeth that engage the
crankshaft) just sat there refusing to join in the effort. What could have
caused this disaster? Any ideas? Thanks. </DIV>
<DIV>David Hyman</DIV>
<DIV>Tulsa</DIV>
<DIV>SJ 7.7 #161</DIV></BODY></HTML>

</x-html>