outboards head to head (5.5/8)

CHRISTOPHER CABLE wrote:

> First time posting a message:
>         I just brought home my SJ 23 #267 and she seems to have a soft spot:
>  the starboard area on the hull where she sits on the trailer bunk (far
> stern)
>
>         The bunks obviously flexed too much and now the hull is "giving"
> approximately 3/4 inch over a 1 foot diameter area.  Needless to say, this
> has my full attention since I JUST BOUGHT IT!!
>
>         Anyhow, the question:  I am leaning towards using the West System
> products,  Does anyone have any experience with this type of a fix?  What
> reinforcements should be used?  Do I need to affix a backing inside?  How
> can I trailer this boat without putting undue pressure on this area?
>         Does it make sense to refinish the hull and topside to repair stress
> cracks at the same time?
>         Thanks in advance, I have heard this is a great group and quite helpful.
> San Juan 23 Internet Fleet:   http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/5492/
> This list sponsored by PEAK,Inc., ISP and Education Center, Corvallis, Oregon
I suggest you get some local fiberglass guru to inspect your hull.  Any
suggestions from the web would at best be guesses and you would waste
time sorting through all the opinions.  However, i have seen this sort
of damage and it is generally due to inadequate hull support.  IE: pads
too small, pads not aligned to the hull, pads in the wrong place, etc.
Good luck.
--
Cheers

Bob Schimmel