Slugs or sdlides on SJ 23 mainsail?

I am currently looking at a 1987 San Juan 23, which they are asking
$9,000.  It has wheel steering, which seems rare for a SJ23, but what
concerns me more is that it houses the outboard motor in the left
cockpit storage compartment.  Have you ever heard or seen an 9.9 HP
motor mounted inside the left cockpit storage compartment?  I am
concerned how this might effect sailing performance and structural
soundness of the boat.  Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay Colavita