From: Chuck Vande Wetering <wwp62@interisland.net>
To: Majordomocommands <Majordomo@maillist.peak.org>
Date: Monday, April 26, 1999 4:48 PM
Subject: Fw: Interested in buying San Juan 23-Response

>Howard and SJ23 skippers:
>
>The San Juan 23 you describe sounds like a fixed keel version I saw once
for
>sale in Anacortes. One of our skippers asked me to check it out for him. I
>had not known of a fixed keel version of the San Juan 23, so I told the
>broker he didn't have a correct listing. He informed me I was wrong and I
>had no information to counter his argument. I do remember it had an
>outboard in a well.  The owner was asking something like $8 0r $9 K and I
>thought it was too  much in light of the fact that I purchased my SJ23
>without trailer for $3 K.  As I later learned $3k is a very good price for
>SJ23 in good condition with good 5-8 horse outboard and no trailer.
Trailers
>cost that much or more for the 23.  There are some discussions about this
>somewhere in the Message Board Archives  as I remember. Good luck in your
>search. I also would caution you that when you get up close to $10
>k for any boat, the price of a survey is money well spent. If you get a
good
>survey you might even ask the owner to discount the price to cover your
>survey costs. And if the survey points out any weaknesses, you have good
>ammunition to counter the price when you negotiate. I love boats so much
>that when one catches my fancy I find it difficult to be objective and
>bargain with the owner. Need all the help I can get! When I bought mine at
>$3k it was done in the middle of the night helping a friend move and I
>hadn't even looked inside the Boat! But I did know the reputation of the
>seller who is a local engineer here in Friday Harbor.
>
>Well, enough from me, what do the rest of you think?
>
>Chuck
>wwp62@interisland.net

I am currently looking at a 1987 San Juan 23, which they are asking
$9,000.  It has wheel steering, which seems rare for a SJ23, but what
concerns me more is that it houses the outboard motor in the left
cockpit storage compartment.  Have you ever heard or seen an 9.9 HP
motor mounted inside the left cockpit storage compartment?  I am
concerned how this might effect sailing performance and structural
soundness of the boat.  Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay Colavita