RE: "Please Remove Them"

I'm considering taking my SJ23 off the coast of Oregon for short trips. I
have discussed this many friends who have flat out called me crazy. They
state that the SJ23 wasn't ever intended for Blue Water use and wouldn't
even handle the seas in moderate conditions.
Are there people who sail the SJ23 offshore and did they have to make any
modifications to improve her seaworthiness?