From: Hal Mueller [mailto:hal@seanet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 11:44 PM
To: Marc Emmons
Cc: sanjuan23@PEAK.ORG
Subject: Re: Seaworthiness?

Marc and others,

I think this is a bad idea, assuming you mean trips point-to-point,
and not just a daysail out of Newport.  I don't know anything about
your experience or training, and I don't mean these comments to be
demeaning--I'm not terribly experienced myself.  I have some US Navy
experience, have done some cruising in the San Juans on my own, and
have crewed on one extended bluewater voyage and a couple of coastal
hops.  A trip down the Oregon coast is not something I would consider
in a SJ23, for several reasons.  You could probably get away with it.
But it doesn't strike me as an easy or enjoyable thing to do.  Sailed
properly, I think the boat could handle the weather if all goes well.
It is, don't forget, evolved from an old ocean racing design (the
SJ24, designed to meet quarter-ton rules under the old IOR).  But
there are some items that could fail, and others that won't work very
well in heavy weather; by the time you're through compensating you'll
have an expensive, overweight, crowded, barely adequate boat.  To do
coastal trips safely (and I don't consider these blue water), you
need quite a bit more self-sufficiency than you would for bays,
rivers, and lakes.  For many emergencies offshore, if you can't
handle them yourself you'll be dead by the time help arrives.
Crossing your fingers and hoping for good weather is not my idea of
seamanlike preparation.

First let's think about additional equipment.  You'll certainly want
a life raft.  There's no really good place on deck to stow it
securely, so it will have to live below, close enough at hand to be
useful--so now you have a large duffel bag in the way.  If you don't
have them already, a Lifesling and perhaps a man overboard pole would
be very handy for retrieving anyone who leaves the boat without
permission--you're fighting hypothermia and you don't have much time.
To keep people onboard, you'll want to rig jackstays and/or add
anchor points for harness tethers.  But there's not much space around
the coaming and along the side of the cabin for jackstays and sheets
to run without interfering with each other.  All of your through-hull
fittings should already have plugs close by.  Presumably you're
already equipped with VHF, radar reflector, bilge pumps, flares,
first aid kit, charts, nav gear (including some sort of manual or
electronic backup for your GPS), and the knowledge to use all of
them.  You've checked your standing rigging (wire and hardware) and
lifeline stanchions.  Add harnesses for all hands, extra water
containers, food, fuel, some way to rig a jury rudder, tools to cut
away the rig if you're dismasted, and you're probably ok for a trip
in good weather.  Oh yes, and seasickness medication (I like
Sturgeron or mecklazine).

Now to life underway.  Unless you've upgraded your galley, cooking
underway will be a PITA and not very safe--so sandwiches and snacks,
and if you're brave some tea or hot soup.  How many people aboard?
Where are they sleeping?  That awful pipe berth in the starboard
quarter might be the best bed on the boat.  You'll roll around in the
v-berth (wedging yourself in with duffel bags helps), and the settees
will be useless without adding lee cloths.  If you plan on doing any
sleeping, you'll need at least 1 other person along who's completely
qualified to singlehand the boat.  Don't forget to tie down
everything belowdecks.

The Oregon coast is not a forgiving place to sail.  There aren't very
many harbors, the ones that are there can be treacherous to get into
in bad weather, and there's no other place to hide if you get caught
out in a storm.  So you need a heavy weather plan.  Storm jib?
Second set of reef points in the main?  Extra halyards?   Plan to
stay wet since there's no place to stow wet clothing.  That
centerboard, which is so nice for raising to get into tight harbors,
is likely  to bang around and up and down.  Have you replaced the
pivot pin?  Is your cable in good shape?  If it gets too bad, you can
drop sails and go under power--as long as you don't mind fooling with
an outboard in heavy seas, motor coming up out of the water
sometimes, and just hope no repair work is needed.  Would want to
keep the lazerette secured to keep water out, and have a way to keep
hatch boards in place. You should have a way to operate your bilge
pumps while you're in the cockpit.  If the windows or foredeck hatch
fail you'll need plywood covers to keep the water out.

I would suggest, as a warmup, if you're determined to do this, that
you put in at the south end of Puget Sound and do a continuous 48 or
72 hour run north.  This would give you a chance to work the kinks
out of underway life while still in protected waters (and with a lot
more interesting stuff to look).  Actually there are plenty of spots
in Puget Sound and the gulf that can give you a taste of heavy
weather.

At 2:42 PM -0700 8/25/99, Marc Emmons wrote:
>I'm considering taking my SJ23 off the coast of Oregon for short trips. I
>have discussed this many friends who have flat out called me crazy. They
>state that the SJ23 wasn't ever intended for Blue Water use and wouldn't
>even handle the seas in moderate conditions.
>Are there people who sail the SJ23 offshore and did they have to make any
>modifications to improve her seaworthiness?
>
>San Juan 23 Internet Fleet:  http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/5493/
>San Juan 23 Tech Tips:  http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/index.html

----
Hal Mueller                hal@seanet.com
Seattle, Washington        (206) 297-9574