Jiffy reefing

I have been working on improving Blown Away's main'sl reefing system. I have
the system all rigged and it works fairly well except for one small point.
About a foot off the boom I have a screw on stopper that keeps the luff of
the main'sl from sliding all the way down. If I remove the stopper it means
that someone has to go up on deck to make sure the cars stay in the mast
track while hoisting the main. If I leave it there, then when I reef the
luff of the main ends up roughly a foot off the boom.
I'm not sure if having the luff off the boom like that will cause stress on
the sail or not. How do other people get around this?

"Good judgment comes from experience-experience comes from bad judgment"
Unknown Source