Bilge

Hello all-

I recently purchase a San Juan 23 ( why else would I be sending this
question to this list?) anyway, I have a problem I am hoping you all in your
wisdom can answer.
My boat is still on the hard, but has a persistent leak into the cabin sole.
I have made sure all my storage areas, lazarettes, sink, water tank etc. are
dry and not leaking.  The water seems to be leaking in from holes someone
has drilled into the corner of the cabin sole.  I am assuming there is water
in the bilge area.  How do you suggest I access this area to find out.
Should I install a deck plate so I can check out this area, and make sure it
is dry before winter storage?
I would appreciate any help you can give me.