Re: Maine sailor

<x-flowed>At 5:28 PM -0400 7/4/00, Char wrote:
>1. Why is the topping lift line so long? And why are there clips on both
>ends.  I have one clipped to the end of the boom and then tied off on a
>cleat.  Is that correct?

Don't know about the length.  But perhaps the cleat at the end of the
boom is for an outhaul?  I clip my topping lift to a hole in a
fitting on the top outer end of the boom (1980 boat).

>3. I have figured out the main sheet, jib sheet, genoa sheet, but there is
>one sheet that has me stumped.  It is wire attached to the starboard side of
>the mast, changes from wire to line about 6" short of the top of the mast,
>runs through the blocks at the top of the mast and comes back down and ties
>off on a cleat on the port side of the mast.  I give.

Hmm, this sounds like the way my own topping lift is rigged.  Or
could it possibly be a spinnaker halyard?

>4. My backstay attaches to one of the angled brackets on the transom, but it
>looks like there should be two.  Has this been modified, and should I try to
>have it corrected this winter when I redo all the stays?

I have an adjustable backstay, and like it, though I haven't done any
objective tests of its effect on boat speed.  One bit of wire
attaches to the transom in two different spots, and single backstay
is attached to the top of that bit.  Sliding set of blocks slides
down the lower wire, squeezing the 2 segments together to tension the
backstay.  Yeah, I know, a picture would be better :)

>5. What do you do about condensation inside the cabin?  I hope to get a
>solar vent soon, but mean while I must have bailed out a gallon of water
>today.  It has been very humid here, plus she is moored in a bay.

I have a Nicro vent installed between companionway and mast.  I also
use a chemical air dryer and a heater in the winter.