Re: Question of the week

<x-flowed>was From: "Mick Roberts" <claire@coastalnet.com>
To: "SJ23 mail list" <sanjuan23@peak.org>
Subject: Re: Question of the week
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 09:35:58 -0400

Steering with the outboard alone is tough under any conditions.  I need to
do it when approaching a neighbor's lift to paint the bottom or do repairs
(I don't have a trailer).  I lift the rudder completely out of the water via
a line near the trailing edge to a cam cleat on the metal portion of the
rudder and make sure it is secured to port (opposide side from the
outboard).  Biggest problem is the final approach to the dock.  Short kicks
forward and reverse work well to get where you want to go.

Practice this skill approaching and stopping at a mooring ball in all
directions relative to the wind before going into a dock.  Using the
outboard along with the rudder can help making short turns in a crowded
marina.

Mick
Juan Mo' Time
Oriental, NC