Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:05:37 -0500
From: Dave Rhinehart <dave_rhinehart@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Some questions about SJ23 sails
To: bspen@aye.net, sanjuan23@PEAK.ORG

Bob:

there are many other members with much more experience on this list, but for

what it's worth...

I do find that my 150 is quite responsive, and I do only fly it in light
conditions. It and the full main are quite impressive in 'ghosting' along
with almost no discernible breeze. Overpowered, I've only experienced
rounding up to windward.

Only time I used the second reef, along with the storm jib, I found I was
making almost no headway, trying to beat into 4/5 foot waves. Shook out to
single reef, bore off a bit, did much better. I do like the storm jib, makes

a big difference when under single reef in the main. In fact, I like it
enough that it is my biggest reason in not, so far, getting into a roller
furling system. I'm just not yet convinced that rolling up to a similar
small size will have the same strength as the storm jib, on the other hand
that's when I really hate going forward. Compromises...

Hope this helps, if nothing else it's fun to reflect on the boat!
dave

http://profiles.msn.com.