[Fwd: Cunningham and mainsail questions]

--
Regards

Bob Schimmel
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Canada

Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 21:11:47 -0400
To: San Juan 23 mail list <sanjuan23@PEAK.ORG>
From: Bob Spencer <bspen@aye.net>
Subject: Cunningham and mainsail questions
Sender: owner-sanjuan23@PEAK.ORG

Can anyone explain to me exactly what a "shelf foot" main is? I have an
original Clark main, which is said to have one. What I need to know is what
the aerodynamics of such a configuration are, any advantages, and how to
handle it. Can't seem to find a reference to it.

The only gear which seems associated with my Cunningham tackle is a small
looped stand-off on the starboard side of the mast about level with the
boom attachment and a small cleat on the port side a little lower. I can
see no way to rig it except to tie the line to the loop, run it through the
Cunningham grommet and down to the cleat. This gives no mechanical
advantage to speak of. Is it that simple, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Bob