Re: Fall sail in Kentucky

dfannin@uswest.net wrote:

> Bob,
>     I'm glad to read your assessment of the tiller.  Maureen and I came to the
> same conclusion.  We thought about hinging it, so it would fold back.  That way
> you would still have it if you wanted to snuggle up front.
>     Anyone have any other thoughts on the tiller length and methods of
> adjusting it?
>                                                             Dan
>
> Bob Spencer wrote:
>
> > Scot and I had a delightful sail on Saturday. This is the season of color
> > in Kentucky, and the lake was beautiful. There are high, vertical, bare
> > cliff faces all along, part of the original river cut, and they are always
> > most impressive in the fall when the color surrounds them. It was a day of
> > dramatic light, and both water and shore were a pleasure to see.
> >
> > Wind was good, 6-15 knots, mostly, but shifty and variable, as usual. That
> > can be a nuisance, but it will teach you to sail, if you work at it. We
> > sailed 12 miles down the lake and had several miles of good reaching
> > breezes, both coming and going. It is impressive how a good sailing breeze
> > drops the wind chill, isn't it? Actual temperature never reached 50F, but
> > it certainly seemed cooler than that.
> >
> > We are learning the boat, and like her more each time we sail. We spent
> > some time wing-on-wing, and were impressed how much the forefoot is pressed
> > down while doing that in a wind. Fore-and-aft trim seems very important to
> > making the SJ23 perform, at least in our boat.
> >
> > We finally chose a name...Kestrel...and are having some letters made. Other
> > work is going along slowly, because we can never resist the temptation to
> > sail, rather than work, but she is almost as we want her. The jib keeps
> > hanging up on the outer shroud while tacking, gets backwinded. We've
> > ordered some vinyl covers for the shroud, which should solve that problem.
> >
> > We have come to understand the comments from some that the cockpit is a bit
> > small. It is. We are beginning to think the tiller is a little too long,
> > and may shorten it so that crew and helmsman can both do their thing more
> > easily when tacking. Tacking in a strong wind, it can be a bit crowded.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > Bob
> > Sail #619
> > http://members.aye.net/~bspen/sail.html
> >
> > San Juan 23 Internet Fleet:  http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/5493/
> > San Juan 23 Tech Tips:  http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/index.html

As far as I can tell, the tiller on all SJ23s tilt up around the hinge bolt in the
rudder head.  With this hinge it is possible to lift the tiller during a tack or
tie it to the back stay for a cockpit party.  Remember, the SJ23 is very sensitive
to fore aft trim, so you should sit as far forward as possible.  Far enough that
the bottom turn of the transom just kisses the surface, not deeper.  With the bow
"dug in" you will find that she can point slightly higher as well.  There, I've
given away probably the best sailing tip for a SJ23.

--
Regards

Bob Schimmel
Spruce Grove, Alberta