(Fwd) RE: Prospective SJ 23 Owner

I disagree with the opinion that a 6hp outboard is enough for the
SJ23.  Pogy Bait wouldn't reach hull speed (which is a touch over 6
knots, by the way) with the Honda 7.5hp on the calmest of water,
and progress against any kind of seas was painfully slow.  I'll admit
that the Johnson 15hp that I replaced the aging Honda with was
overkill, but now I know what hull speed actually feels like under
power.  7.5hp is marginal for water as heavy as the Great Lakes
can be, and 9.8/9.9 would probably be perfect.

Jack