Re: (Fwd) RE: Prospective SJ 23 Owner

Sorry, Ron.

I have already donated it to the local Sea Scouts chapter.  They
have an ancient Shock 23 restoration project boat that came with
an equally ancient Evinrude outboard, and they'll be using the
Honda as a project.

I agree that the smaller outboards will provide adequate headway
for the SJ23 under most conditions.  They are perfect for harbor
maneuvering, where speed is against the rules anyway.  But if you
need to cover some distance under power, a ten is probably a
much better choice because it will push the boat up to hull speed.
I don't believe I could ever get more than three knots on the 7.5.  I
was going to get the Johnson 9.8 (or 9.9 or whatever they call their
10hp motor these days), but the physical specs were identical for
the 15 and I talked myself up a notch.

Whatever outboard you choose, it's important to get one with an
alternator so you can operate the running lights with a dead battery.

Jack