Re: Tech Tip E01

Mike I have a 8 H.P. merc on a 22' Westerly used on
the Gulf of Mx and intercoastal waterway, and would
not consider over a 9+ hp.  For your info a Westerly
22 is a twin keel with a fair amount of weight more
that a San Juan.  There is no reson or benifit to a
big motor on a displacement hull---you never will be
able to water ski on a sailboat, and you will just
stress the thing with too much power. I have powered
with those little Johnson canoe kicker outboards, that
I keep in the well for a spair.  Rather that spending
bigger bucks on a bigger motor, reef down, and sail it
home when the wind gets too great.   (Get reef points
in your sail, and be sure how to use them) I had a 9.9
on a 20' Balboa and it was overpowered.  I never could
use full throttle.  My next motor will be the best
quality used 6 to 9.9 I can find purched by wieght and
price, and not alot of regard to H.P.  paul halenbeck
--- geneandlizadams <geneandlizadams@seanet.com>
wrote:
> MIKE
> I have used a Honda 7.5 on San Juan 23s on Puget
> Sound. I have also used 6
> hp motors, and they work fine. More hp means more
> weight and more weight
> means less performance under sail. The San Juan 23
> has a finite hull speed
> and overdriving the hull burns more fuel
> consumption, but not much more
> speed.
> Gene Adams

=====
NOTE NEW ADDRESS: 30 Turner Street, Suite #908, Clearwater Florida  33756  for Jennifer and Paul Halenbeck