more on auxiliary power

Sailing weight and attainable speed are certainly important
considerations in the choice of auxiliary power, but they aren't the
only considerations.

Including the motor mount replacement, the 15-hp two-stroke I now
use weighs about ten pounds more than the 7-1/2 I retired.  I can
rationalize the extra weight pretty easily, but then I'm not a racer.
If it bothers you, you could always leave one of your anchors at
home or get skinnier crew.

Attaining hull speed at half throttle is adequate compensation for
the extra weight, I believe, because of reduced noise and vibration
levels and generally less stress on the motor.  I won't ever pull
water skiers, but I might need the extra thrust someday.

In airplanes, engine time at maximum power is strictly limited.  It's
a matter of safety, because reciprocating engines are much more
likely to fail at high power settings.  We're not going to crash if the
outboard quits on the water, but it can be really inconvenient.
Running a more powerful unit at a lower throttle setting to get the
same performance is just good mechanical practice.

The bottom line on outboard power has to be personal preference.
If you have the opportunity, test drive both sizes and pick the one
that feels best.  I spend a lot of time under power because I live in
stinkboat country, so the big motor is pretty important to me.
Pogy Bait still handles well under sail, even with the extra weight.
If all I had to do was maneuver into and out of my slip, I'm sure the
6-hp unit would be great.