From: owner-sanjuan23@PEAK.ORG [mailto:owner-sanjuan23@PEAK.ORG]On
Behalf Of dkg1952@sprintmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2000 2:17 PM
To: sanjuan23@PEAK.ORG
Subject: Re: Tech Tip E01

Hi all,

I just bought a SJ23 with a 7.5 Mercury outboard.  This discussion intrigues
me
because of the limitations I have experienced with the motor.  Going forward
is
not a problem with this motor.  For backing and slowing this motor is almost
useless.  I'm on a small inland lake (no current to speak of).  I get very
concerned about backing out of my slip either into the wind or docking with
wind on the transom.  This engine will barely slow any headway of the boat
and
will barely back the boat into a wind.  In fact sometimes I can only hold a
stationary position backing until the wind momentarily subsides or shifts.
Has
anyone else experienced these problems with this size motor & boat?  Could
it
be the type of prop causing problems?  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Dave G.