Re: Tech Tip E01

While I can't tell you how to differentiate between a long shaft
motor and a normal one without direct comparison, I can tell you
that I discovered (after the fact) that my original outboard had been
a standard shaft one.  Except for being a little anemic and
unreliable at the end, I thought it worked fine.  I replaced it with a
long shaft model which does not fully clear the water in the "up"
position on my motor mount unless I tilt it, too.  If I had the motor
replacement to do over again, I think I would get a standard shaft
unit this time.

In other words, I don't think you should reject the unit just because
it doesn't have a long shaft.

This interchange on outboards has been very, very good.  I hope
none of you have gotten bored with the number of messages.