interesting Honda experience

I had my Honda 8 HP in for preventive maintenance a couple of weeks ago. The technician called me and said he saw signs of overheating: melted tie straps internally. He ran the engine in the tank and saw no cooling water discharge. This part puzzled me, because I had just used the motor for a 12 hour run (the last 5 hours at night), and the cooling was working fine. He had blown the lines with compressed air and found no blockage.

When he dissassembled the pump (expecting to find a failed impeller), he found a large salt blockage. When he called me back to tell me this, he was clearly annoyed with himself for having missed it the first time.

I don't know when the blockage occurred, or why, but I'll be keeping a close eye on the motor of course.

----
Hal Mueller                hal@xxxxxxxxxx
Seattle, Washington        (206) 297-9574
http://www.mobilegeographics.com/