Question on rigging

Hi Fellow Skippers,

The first full season with my San Juan will be here soon.  I'm getting
my rigging ready as many of you are probably doing, as well.  When I
bought the boat it had both a topping lift and lazy jacks.  I realize
they are not exactly the same thing but having both seems redundant to
me.  Am I missing something here?  Do any of of you see the need for
both?  Also, if not, which would you prefer to have or regret not
having?  Your thoughts are welcome, thanks.

-- Dave Gottschalk