Re: Question on rigging

dkg1952@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Fellow Skippers,
>
> The first full season with my San Juan will be here soon.  I'm getting
> my rigging ready as many of you are probably doing, as well.  When I
> bought the boat it had both a topping lift and lazy jacks.  I realize
> they are not exactly the same thing but having both seems redundant to
> me.  Am I missing something here?  Do any of of you see the need for
> both?  Also, if not, which would you prefer to have or regret not
> having?  Your thoughts are welcome, thanks.
>
> -- Dave Gottschalk

I would keep both. The topping lift keeps your boom up during reefing, dropping
the main or mooring the boat.  The lazy jacks keep your nice clean mainsail off
the deck.  It will probably keep you on deck as well as stepping on a mainsail
can be pretty slippery at times.

--
Best Regards

Bob Schimmel