From: Bob Schimmel [mailto:bschimme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 8:06 AM
To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Outboard well?

Pitchpoled@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Has anyone ever played with the idea of adding a outboard well forward of
the
> stern?I can think of many operating advantages.
>
> Michael

I think of at least a dozen advantages if you were to go a slight step
further.
Install a 7.5HP Honda on top of a Volvo Saildrive just under the cockpit.
Thrust
to the rudder for steering, prop never comes out of the water, quieter
outside,
weight forward (which is good considering the narrow transom), engine
controls in
the cockpit and improved fuel economy.  The down side is noise in the cabin,
maintenance access, must reinforce the hull under the cockpit for the engine
and
must enclose the engine fumes from the rest of the cabin.  This is not a
small
job but one of our members, Bobby I believe, has an inboard engine so it is
possible.

I wish the SJ23 had a round transom for the reserve buoyancy to support the
crew.
It would also necessitate an inboard rudder.  There we go, compromises
again!

Best Regards