SJ 23 Race News

The following was contributed by Mick Roberts. Thanks and congratulations Mick. My Shaw Classic race turned out as usual. No wind, adverse current, so I sailed backwards until I pulled out!

Chuck and Barbara Vande Wetering
PO Box 2205
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
wwp62@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

August 10, 2001
Juan Mo' Time seems to be stuck in a second place rut! Congratulations to my neighbor up north on the Pungo ... nice going, Paul Bailey! Come on down to the Neuse. The Oriental Dinghy Club's fall invitational is coming up Sept. 22 & 23. I'll be there and most likely so will Sea Shell - Walt Brown's '78 23.

Back to other racing news, with one expert and one novice crew, Juan Mo' time managed to eke out a second out of 38 boats in the Whortonsville Yacht and Tractor Club's Solstice Sailabration. After winning three years ago with a ten minute after slowest start, the race committee tacked on another eight minutes (four more than Walt Brown's SJ 23). Conditions were very similar to three years back when the wind died at the Neuse River entrance mark after we had passed it. It was a delight to look back and see boats getting even smaller! By that time there were only two boats in front of us ... a Sea Pearl (first to start) and a Cape Dory 26 (third starter).

The Sea Pearl decided to go dead downwind winging out the cat ketch rig. We headed for the mark using a gps rhum line as did the Cape Dory. We managed to pass the Sea Pearl and closed on the Cape Dory but the course was not quite long enough (10 nm).

Plenty of brewski and dead pig meat was consumed at the social after.

Mick in Oriental

-
Chuck and Barbara Vande Wetering
PO Box 2205