Re: Sj23 Tech Tips

Dear Bob:

Thx for tech tips.. they are great.. some questions for the group:

Does anyone know what price our sj23 retailed new in 1982?  I am in the
process of transferring a title and naming our boat with a new partner,
Cathy Chiari.

Secondly, I am new to sailing. (A powerboat convert!)  Do you usually dock
with your centerboard down in heavy wind and currents when motoring in?  we
almost had a mishap in which the heavy northerly winds picked us up while
motoring in and almost pushed us into a dock and 3 boats.  Another larger
boat almost beached itself on rocks after us. (My previous experience with
power boating and Blake island docking was similar but the power boat was
more manageable in this condition.)

Our Yamaha OB usually is adequate but this time we were in reverse and still
moving forward at a good clip. It was alittle too exciting!  We had 25 knot
winds in so was a great sailing ride until then..

Upon arrival, center board was up and sails were down while we expected to
slowly  motor in. Would it have made any difference and would we compromised
the steering ? ( which we didn't have control of either.)

I  hate to air my novice abilities publicly, but I need to start somewhere
and learn from my mistakes.

What do you think? Any tactful advice from seasoned skippers will be
appreciated!

Thank you.

Maureen Larson
Sas"sea"babe or Babe"sea"licious (name to be determined!)