Re: Spinaker

Doug,
Basic setup for spinnaker sheet/guy is a block as far aft as possible outside all stays.  Use the topping lift and downhaul combination to keep the pole in place (horizontally).  A "twing" line is helpful in keeping the guy line under control when the wind picks up or you want to sail a higher line.  When your main is properly trimmed, the spinnaker pole should be as an extension of the boom on the opposite side.  Sheet tension needs to be worked so that the upper edge of the spinnaker is just on the "edge" of curling.  As always, when in doubt, let it out.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 10:17 PM
Subject: Spinaker

With two thirds of my first summer of SJ 23 ownership behind me, I am having more fun than I could have imagined.  Needless to say this site has helped enourmously but the ease of handling of this boat has also contributed.

I am looking for any advice I can get about flying a spinaker.  "Siesta" is equiped with a tri-radial spinaker, pole with forguy (downhaul?) and topping lift and a separate spinaker halyard.

From there I am unclear what would be the best arrangement for the sheets/guys.  As I understand it a sheet would be connected to the loose corner of the spinaker and a "guy" would be connected to the end attached to the pole on the windward side.  Should the sheets run on the outside of the lifelines from the genoa tracks?  I've seen a setup in which the sheets were alternately drawn in to a snatch block along the forward toerail to become the guy on opposite tacks (on a Pearson 26).  See site http://www.en.com/users/danp/boat/spin.htm  Does anyone know if this will work on an SJ 23?  It seems to me that the sheet would bind on the outside of the stanchions.  I do not have a bridge over the cabin for extra controls and as all lines are already lead aft over the cabin I do not have room there for more cam cleats for spinaker sheets.  My hope is to utilize the genoa tracks, lead blocks, winches and cleats.

I've never flown a spinaker so any advice is welcome.