Re: more centerboard

Bob Spencer wrote:

> A thought has been lurking in the back of my mind all evening concerning
> centerboards, and it finally surfaced. There is a very good reason not to
> sail with the centerboard down when running, the more so as the wind
> increases. In the event you round up and broach to, it will be much more
> dramatic and potentially dangerous if you have your board down. The boat
> will try to skid downwind to maintain stability, but if the board is down,
> it will trip over the board, dramatically increasing the heel and stopping
> the boat with a bang. I'm sure we are all aware that running in a wind is
> the most dangerous point of sail and accounts for more boat damage and
> injuries than any other.
>
> Also, at anchor in a wind, many boats will 'lunge', attempt to sail past
> the anchor, first to one side and then to the other, if the board is down.
> With the board up, they will be able to slide sideways enough to prevent
> that. With the relatively flat bottom and hard chines of the SJ23, I'd
> suspect it would do that. Has anyone experienced this?
>
> Bob

An SJ23 rides much quieter at a mooring (less see-saw action) with the center
board up and the rudder blade out of the water than with both in the water.  I
used to moor Panache with the board up and the rudder down, NO MORE.  Another
helpful force that quiets the boat is to tie the boom over to one side so the
end is over the gunwale. It biases the hull to one side somewhat and keeps the
companionway clear. You could also have several people sit on one rail to
accomplish the same task.  However, I can't afford the beer to keep them there!

I discovered all this one day while mooring by old Venture 222 in 4 feet of
water in a storm and having to wade to shore in chest waders. While waiting on
a gunwale for a calm time in the waves I noticed that the boat stopped
see-sawing.  It simply stayed on one "tac." If I moved to the center of the
boat it started see-sawig again.

Best Regards