Re: SJ23 sail numbers

Paul Halenbeck wrote:

> Bob: I have had no end of fun with my Westerly title
> that I bought from a estate with a bill of sale in
> Missouri, then first sailed in Minnesota.  It is
> likely a 1968 model, and numbers were not required,
> per my memory till 1972.  Both Minnesota and Nebraska
> are regestration states, not Title states.  I did have
> to make up numbers to get insurance.  When I moved to
> Florida, they were not real happy at first that all I
> had was a Minnesota regrestration, but with going to
> the Tax mans 3 times I found a clerk that would
> accomidate a compination of My Minnesota regestration
> and insuranse numbers, to get a Florida Title.  Of
> course Westerlys are made in Jolly old England, but I
> have been in every nook of this boat--and now way are
> there Hull numbers.   I reccoment that people with pre
> 1972 Hulls place a Hull number on the rear and try to
> hook it up to your regestration--For theft and for the
> next owner--and for later Regrestation.  Paul
> --- Jack Chandler <res03w5b@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Pogy Bait is hull no. 400 (as imprinted in the
> > fiberglass on the
> > transom), and the sail has 400 on it.  And one of
> > her four sails is a
> > Clark sail, but I can't for the life of me remember
> > which one.
> >
> > Jack
> >
> > On 23 Aug 2001, at 12:19, Bob Schimmel wrote:
> >
> > Date sent:            Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:19:47 -0600
> > From:                 Bob Schimmel
> > <bschimme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To:                   SJ23 DISTRIBUTION
> > <sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject:              SJ23 sail numbers
> > Send reply to:        sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > > Good Day all;
> > >
> > > In doing the research on Panache's sail numbers
> > I've discovered that
> > > she didn't originally come with numbers.  The
> > second owner put the
> > > numbers on, to match his birthday of all things.
> > >
> > > Chuck and I suspect that Clark never put numbers
> > on the mainsails of
> > > the first boats.  But the two companies that
> > bought Clark did put
> > > numbers on the mainsails.  As far as reporting the
> > sail numbers in the
> > > membership list on the SJ23 web site, Chuck simply
> > assumed that your
> > > hull number is the same as your sail number.
> > >
> > > My questions are,
> > >
> > >   1. Do any of you still have an original mainsail
> > and does it have
> > >   any
> > >      numbers on it?
> > >   2. If so, do the sail numbers match the hull
> > numbers on your boat?
> > >
> > > For clarification see Tech Tip H09,
> > >

> http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/h_design_tips/h09.html
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best Regards
> > >
> > > Bob Schimmel
> > > (Always stay curious)

> > Jack Chandler
> > www.jack-chandler.com
> [...]

Paul you present an interesting twist to this puzzle. I didn't think a state law would govern something like this, but then why not if it saves a company money?
Chuck is there any way you could investigate this, being as how you live in the same state (Washington) as the head office for Clark?
Maybe the answer to this could solve the problem for all the models.

--
Best Regards