Re: winch maintainence

Char wrote:

> http://sailnet.com/  has some great articles and tips on all things sailing.
> Under gear and maintenance, there is a section on winch maintenance. I found
> it very informative.
>
> Char

Winch maintenance is one of those jobs that should be done on the dry. Anything
you drop, and that's pretty well guaranteed, will be LOST FOREVER to the
denizens of the deep. I've attended several club year end banquets where some
goofy presentation was made for THE bone head stunt of the year. Number one
stunt on the list is dropping parts overboard. The volume of the cursing is
directly proportional to the cost of the item.

Last year one of the senior sailors, who did some winch maintenance on the
water, had some help from a young lad who donned mask and fins to retrieve the
errant part. That was his good deed for the day. The embarrassed sailor
expressed his thanks by presented the lad with a cash reward at the year end
banquet.  In one fell swoop he publicly acknowledged his "mistake" and praised
the good natured lad. The rest of us know what he really did; he preserved his
"bone head" free reputation.

PS: By the way, life is not complete until you've received a "bone head" award
and had the satisfaction of presenting it to another bone head at the following
year end banquet. Ah life.....

Best Regards