Re: Winches, again

The last new San Juan 23 I sold was up graded to # 16 2 speed winches to allow a woman to use a life sling to retrieve a man overboard. The side benefit was that their 10 year old son was able to sheet the Genoa. The # 16 was the biggest winch that would fit on the coaming. It is hard to have winches that are too big. Sailing tends to be too macho and requires more strength than many woman have. bigger winches tend to solve the problem.
Gene Adams
----- Original Message -----
From: Char-home
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 10:01 AM
Subject: Winches, again

Hello fellow San Juan'rs-

I have tried everyway I know to get hold of the Australian Winch Co, Inc., including several emails, and even phone calls to no avail.  Maybe they have gone on a walk about, who knows.  Either way, I am thinking of replacing my two #16 ARCO winches.  From all the information I have read, I am wondering if I can down size to a smaller, less expensive winch.  I am not a racer, just a daysailor at this point.  What is the opinion of the group?  I was thinking a #10.

Thank you for your advice.

Char