Re: Bilge Pump

Hal Mueller wrote:

>  From my own poking around (under the V-berth and in the settee
> lockers), I think that a bilge pump would not fit under the sole.  It
> looks like there's not much room there to begin with, and my boat
> (#503) has hardened foam that oozed out from under the sole into the
> V-berth locker.  From that I concluded that whatever little void
> space is there has been filled with foam.
>
> Is this for unattended use?  Maybe you could pour a little water onto
> the deck and then step off the boat (so that it's in "empty" trim),
> and see where the low point is.

I've had the occasion to "fill" my boat with water due to a screw up. I left
the the knot meter impeller out during a launch. Anyway no harm done and it did
a marvelous job of cleaning the bilge.  Besides I convinced a bystander that I
was performing a Y2K test on the hull and they actually believed me.
Tourists!  The bottom line is that with 10" of water in the hull she floats
level.

My suggestion for locating a bilge pump is to install one forward and one aft.
These two places are both big voids that are difficult to bail with a pail.
The area under the cabin seats is of no concern because they hold an
insignificant amount of water compared to the bow and stern.

You could make both pumps electric to deal with problems while you are away
from the boat. There is nothing wrong with having a large manual pump to deal
with a problem while you are onboard.

--
Best Regards