Re: outboard troubleshooting

Just for kicks try some "brand new" gas.  The new low
emission oxiginated gas can go bad real fast.  6 weeks
is a little quick, but if you have spark--and bulb
pressure it should run awhile.  Time for a older
outboard.  Paul
--- Hal Mueller <hal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So off we went to the marina Saturday to check our
> crab pots.  Crank
> the motor (a Honda 8 HP, 3 years old) again and
> again--no joy,
> although it had run fine on Friday.  Finally gave up
> in frustration,
> back again on Sunday to try some more.  At present
> the motor is
> sitting in the back yard, the boat is sitting at the
> marina, and the
> thermometer is sitting at about 75 degrees without a
> cloud in the sky.
>
> So far I've tried:
> --new plugs (one of the old ones was somewhat
> corroded and quite
> dirty, the other one was slightly dirty; they had
> about 1 year of use
> on them)
> --new fuel filter
> --gas is about 6 weeks old
> --squirted starter fluid into the carb.  After I did
> this the motor
> started and ran fine.  Then I shut it off with the
> "dead man" switch
> and attempted to restart--wouldn't start.
>
> Gas reaches the carb; however, one repairman
> suggested it might be
> the fuel pump (can't prove that fuel pump is
> actually moving fuel
> while running, could be just the stuff I pumped in
> by hand with the
> fuel line bulb).  This repairman then said "but we
> don't work on
> Hondas so I can't say for sure".
>
> I haven't cranked the motor with the plugs out to
> verify a spark;
> however, since I was able to get the thing started
> once I think this
> means that the ignition system is ok.  Or does it?
>
> The nearby Honda shops are quoting a 3 week delay
> before they'll even
> be able to look at the the thing.  Anybody have any
> ideas on things I
> haven't tried yet?
>
> ----
> Hal Mueller
> Seattle, Washington    hal@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Archives:
> http://www.mobilegeographics.com/sanjuan23/
> San Juan 23 Tech Tips:
> mailing list commands:
mailto:majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?body=help

=====
Paul Rosebud Halenbeck                                      --30 Turner St suite 908                                    --Clearwater Florida 33756                                 ---His mind was a terrible thing to waste--