Outhaul, again

The outhaul on my boat is still not right.  I have a wire that attaches to the clew of the sail, then runs internally in the boom, and come out at the mast end through the underside of the boom.  I have a line with two blocks (that I marked outhaul when I took it off last year). Obviously one end hooks to the end of the outhaul cable, but where, oh where, does the other block connect, and where does the line cleat off.  If I connect one block to the outhaul wire, and the other end to a large medal loop (like the main sail sheet block is attached to) the line feeds back towards the mast, and there is no block to run it through, and no cleat on that side. Neither of the d rings that the blocks are attached to look like they should be at the foot of the mast, and that doesn't make sense, why mess with a Cunningham if the outhaul is pulling the mast down.  I am stumped.  Please someone, set me straight, I am going sailing tomorrow after work, and this is the last major kink.  I will save my question about the reefing line for another day.

Thanks-

Char
Char Montz
S/V Charm